Palmanova, a 16th Century Fortress Town
After losing the fortress of Gradisca (1511) the Venetian Republic wanted to prevent an eastern Turkish attack and to defend its hegemony from the Habsburgs and Usocchi.Therefore, a “new reoyal fortress” was built in a strategic point: the crossroads between the Julia-Augusta and the Ungarian road (Stradalta).
The project was designed by Giulio Savorgna and many other architects who worked for Venice’s Fortifications Department. Barbaro supervised the construction of the fortress which began on 7th October 1593 and finished in 1682. During the Napoleonic domination the outer works (“lunette” and “spianata”) were completed in 1806. Palmanova was classified as a “National Monument” in 1960.
It can be considered as a “unicum” in Europe as regards both the conception of its urban structure and the defence works, whose elements are perfectly identifiable. Palmanova is also a very good starting point for visits to nearby Aquileia, Grado, Cividale, Udine, Gorizia, Trieste and the entire Friuli Venezia Giulia region, thanks to its privileged geographical.